Monday, April 09, 2007

He ain't heavy

I have a brother.

He's so obviously much more of a poser than I am.

He goes by the name of Yin Zhen Huang, but someone my parents decided that it wasn't cool enough. Thus Dennis came about, like how I was given Louie (incidentally I don't use this name often).

Dennis was always a little monster. Parents sometimes tell bogeymen stories to strike fear into their children's hearts, but in my case I always had a little brother to cause endless torment throughout my prepubescent life. Day after day, I had to give in to his voracious appetite for getting things his way; my mom and her sisters would even chide me for not letting him play with the LEGO, or eat my ice-cream, or generally cause trouble.

In secondary school, we fought and argued a lot. Sharing the same room, bedtime was bout after bout of verbal sparring over petty issues like how he can't sleep with the lights off (but I do) or how I can't sleep with the radio playing (but he does). Because of this, we lost an average of an hour of sleep every single night. It got to an extent that I couldn't take it any longer, so I cleared the guest room (the smallest room in the house, and the only one downstairs) and shifted there.

And then we both grew up. But like all siblings, we still have the occasional argument, just to make sure that we haven't lost our touch. Nevertheless, the little monster has turned into a cheerleader and hip-hop dancer extraordinaire, as well as my personal stylist and fashion consultant; and I can't be more grateful for that, lest I wish to become a walking fashion faux pas.

Wish I could do that...

Nowadays, I can't help being proud of how much he has grown (though I had little hand in his upbringing). The upstart has even made it to the (Top-20) finals of the Malaysian version of So You Think You Can Dance, a reality TV program similar to Idol, but for dancers instead of singers. They just aired the auditions on 8tv last Thursday evening at 9.30pm (repeats on Monday 10.00 am), with more episodes to screen in the coming weeks.

Like Idol, when the real contest begins in a few weeks time, there'll be lots of SMS voting. I know for a fact that he can dance (the judges think so too), so to show my support for him, I'll try my best to get people to fall in love with him; this way, his legion of fans will vote for him without me having to pester them (heh heh).

To that end, I have uploaded onto YouTube two short videos of him in action.
Watch and fall in love, because you know he loves you too:
Part 1 and then there's Part 2. <--- MUST WATCH!

Dennis wants YOU! Support him today!

Anyway, in all seriousness, I believe that he really deserves this break; his passion for dancing is simply remarkable. Watch the videos and ask yourself how did this brother of mine get to that level of expertise in only three years and without any professional training. Then ask yourself if you would deny this young man a chance at glory by not voting for him if ever he is unfortunate enough to be selected by the judges as one of the bottom six performers of any week.

Boy, I'd hate to have that guilt on my shoulders if he ever gets eliminated. *Hint* *Hint*

Oh the distances one would travel for his little brother's livelihood.



Pointless Fact of the Day:
If you can read Chinese (incidentally, I can't), you'll know that the character in the picture above is pronounced "Yuan" in Mandarin. However, by virtue of my family being of Cantonese descent, we use the pronunciation "Yin" instead. Which is of course, in my opinion, a way cooler sounding surname.

Zhen was here at 1:21 am,