Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The picture at the top of the page

A couple of weeks ago, I was reading an article in The Economist about America's continuing troubles in Afghanistan. The picture at the top of the page was in my opinion one of the best ever to grace the pages of a magazine (of likes which include Scarlett Johansson and Keira Knightley on Vanity Fair, but that's for a totally different reason):


How could a photograph of a raid on a Taliban hideout be so beautiful? The notion seems so wrong, but somehow, the end result, the picture itself, seems so right that I can't really find words to describe why I like it. Like I said, it just seems so... right.

If I had a high resolution version of this picture, I would've had it for my desktop background already. Sadly, I don't.

But we'll always have Scarlett. Methinks that's not too bad a consolation.

Zhen was here at 9:13 pm,