Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hello 2007 Part 2

After a week or two deliberating, I've come up with a few resolutions that I'd like to keep for this year. However, this is by no means a final, complete roll; I may continue to add to the list as the year passes, but at the same time I'll try my best not to drop anything from it. The general idea is to make really ambitious goals; like what some people say (check this metaphor out!), aim for the stars, so even if you miss, you'd at least get the moon.

Another reason for setting impossible targets is so that I'm able to blame the impossibility of meeting them to, well, their inherent impossibility. A thinking person always prepares an escape route; I can already imagine, half a year from now, I'd be convincing myself that they were never meant to be met anyway.

Of course, that's not how one should treat resolutions! Hence, with stubborn determination (and I'm stubborn as hell), I shall attempt the following:

1. Pick up music
My little sister has finally admitted that her passion isn't in music (after my parents have already wasted thousands of ringgit on her piano classes and exams). Now I'm free to pick it up, for real! Someday, I'm going to be able to actually play an instrument (besides my, uh, nevermind). I'm probably going to pay for most of the lessons out of my own pockets, but as long as I'm under my parents' roof, I have an obligation to spend (and save) according to their wishes, especially on expensive things like this.

2. Run (and generally exercise) more
I've been a geeky, lazy-assed, non-sportsman for as long as I can remember, and I'm still pretty much a geek now. This has resulted in a frail and fragile body (okay, I may be exaggerating here) and an aversion to all sports. Today, the only exercise I can do without feeling too bored (or, in the case of sports, getting thrashed like rag doll in a blender) is running around the neighbourhood, provided I have music playing in my ears. So, to get fitter for 2007, I'm going to try running as often as possible. And maybe throw in dumbbell-lifting and crunches once in a while. But first, I'll need a new pair of shoes as well as earphones. Anyone cares enough to donate?

3. Be a good _______
Current commitments include:
  1. SJBAYS/TQ - The temple
  2. YKLS - The choir
  3. MUSA - The student council (I don't know why they can't just call it Monash Student Council; everytime I tell people I'm in MUSA they give me the clueless look)
  4. MNSM - Monash Nature Society Malaysia (I've been a very sucky treasurer the past semester thanks to my hatred of counting another's cash)
  5. Family - Try to piss off my parents less, mostly.
More will come, I can just feel it. Commitment sense, tingling!

Somehow, all this talk about commitment makes the word 'marriage' pop in my mind. Hmm...

4. Game less
Yup. Whenever school season starts I uninstall all the games on the computer and waste my time on other equally antisocial activities, such as reading books or browsing the pages of Wikipedia (I admit it's weird that I do it for fun, but at least I don't go around editing the pages). I hope to keep gaming to a minimum, to free up time for the other resolutions. Me being such a lazy and perpetually sleepy cunt doesn't add hours to a day, so I guess this is a must.

Of course, this can wait until classes begin, heh heh.

5. Continue or rewrite my NaNoWriMo project
Some of you may recall that I failed to complete my novel for NaNoWrimo within the month of November. See, that's what gaming does to ya. Makes you forget your other duties. It's evil, I tell you! But like all addictions, it's friggin hard to cure, hence my incomplete work, 'Carter'. I'll probably rewrite instead of continuing; some of the sections just sound... odd. Well, a couple of hundred words a day should do the trick.

6. Do well in my papers
By doing well I mean doing really well. Like High Distinctions for all my papers well. This might be the most realistic of all my resolutions. No, really. If I put all my energy into my studies, I'd be sticking to this goal at the expense of the rest (except No.4). It's a give-and-take situation here, unless I can plan my time really well. Sadly, we all know how much of a bum I am!

7. Stick to all these resolutions
Like, duh. Every year, a number of people tell me that their resolutions for that year is to stick to their resolutions. It actually makes sense, though, since attempts at revamping one's life take much more effort than most are willing to put in. So, allow me to truncate this lengthy update with a toast: Here's to sticking to the plan, people! Hope you all survive the year~

(Note that I also got bored halfway through the writing of this post, hence the abrupt end)

Zhen was here at 10:32 pm,