Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Thicker Than Water

I'm a pretty generous person, when it comes to blood. My first encounter with donation was in August two years ago, back when I was still a student in St. Andrew's Junior College. When the folks from Singapore Red Cross came a-knocking at our school, Alex (my ex-roommate) and I decided to donate*.

When the 'National Blood Transfusion Service' came to Monash last week, Darren (Peck Yun), Andrea (50% Filipino, 25% Indonesian, 25% Dutch, 100% sexy momma), and I (weirdo) felt generous.

Me, Andrea, and Darren's arm

We faced some difficulties at the registration booth, though. Andrea lived in the UK during the Mad Cow Disease (BSE to you Bio freaks) period of 1995 to 1996, and therefore was unable to donate. The nurses didn't tell us if she'll ever be allowed to, though.

They make you look at your own blood
as it is being drawn. How sadistic.


That's Dahlia and Andrea to my right,
looking concerned (Aww)

Now examine the last picture carefully. Notice that the needle did not pierce the middle of my forearm, but rather, through the side. It turned out that the nurse did a botched operation. She claimed that it was difficult to see my veins on my left arm, and as a result accidentally drew blood from my muscle tissue instead(?), which ran out pretty quickly. But since I was feeling especially nice that day (must be the weather), I let her poke me again... In my right arm.

I sure don't look too happy

Well, I can't really blame the nurses, it's not like they purposefully intended to cause me misery. This time around, though, the blood flowed smoothly; the 450ml bag was filled in less than 5 minutes. After that I had to rest for a while before they gave me some refreshments; bread and Milo, to be exact.

The Milo tasted like shit, though. Andrea postulated that it might've been due to the sweet kisses she gave me earlier.

*Cough*

No, this is what I meant:

One of the many reasons I miss
my girlfriend so much

For the record, she actually asked if I "would like some KissesTM". In any case, the sweet, chocolatey goodness of Hershey's KissablesTM must've overpowered the Milo to the extent that I could only taste the malt. Kinda disgusting, but beggars can't be choosers.

Anyway, it's five days on and I can't say that this encounter with the blood bank didn't have its consequences. For one, my body became quite weak after that, causing me to fall asleep in traffic jams while driving (it's dangerous, people!). Secondly, my arms now have bruise-like marks reminiscent of those often found on rape victims:

People ask me about this all the time

Well, that sort of wraps the story up. I was pretty damn free today, and thought that it might be interesting to put this thing up. One last word before signing off:

* In Singapore, the blood bank sends you well-wishing cards every few months or so after you've registered with them, especially on your birthdays. Alex received these cards more often than I do, though; his blood type was A negative which was very rare in Asians. Figures, huh?

So go out there and be generous with your blood, people!

Zhen was here at 6:24 pm,