Monday, October 02, 2006

Hell Week 2006

I am officially naming the next seven days of my life the Hell Week of 2006.

Throughout the course of your life, are there times when your workload, be it academic, occupational, or whatevermental, is so much to the extent that suicide (exaggeration here) seems like an attractive alternative to work? For most people, the answer's probably 'yes', and I bet that each one of you have your own definition for these kind of things. I call mine Hell Week. Or Day, or Month (if I ever experience a Hell Year, I won't be surprised if I seriously contemplate suicide).

In my case, at least, these periods are characterised by averaging three to four hours of erratic sleep each night and drastic increases in caffeine intake of up to five or six cups of coffee a day, just so I can squeeze every last bit of energy from my battered body to do whatever work needed completing.

It gets worse, though. Due to exhaustion and extreme boredom (the latter's usually from doing assignments), it takes much longer for my brain to process whatever it is that I am doing. So it's a vicious cycle of:

Some work -> Exhaustion -> Increased processing time -> More time needed to do work

...which is exactly why I'm blogging now; I got tired and bored and now I need to endure an additional hour of sleeplessness. I can hear my conscience screaming at me "OMG u fuking edeot!!" this very moment.

Yes, I do have a very flawed conscience.
"Go 2 hell!"
That's next week, brother.

Anyway, remember the list of commitments I mentioned sometime last month? Here's an updated list:

  1. The Young KL Singers: Concert this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (6th, 7th, and 8th, respectively... duh)
  2. Monash Nature Society: Thankfully nothing on right now... Except that I need to review the society's accounts before it's too late and unmanageable.
  3. Something I'm not supposed to publicise right now Monash University Student Association Elections: More on this later.
  4. Goddamn assignments!: One gigantic one to go, due this Wednesday.
  5. Girlfriend: We're still 15 hours apart...
  6. YDC: This is a new addition! It's not going to take too much of my time at the moment, so I won't talk about it yet.
Regarding No.3, yes people, that was the thing that I wasn't supposed to publicise, lest I break any one of the 21 prohibitions listed under Regulation 37: Prohibited Conduct of the Election Regulations. Yeah, the elections committee is real anal about these things. But now I'm free to appeal to any of you readers from Monash Malaysia to...

VOTE FOR SPEAK!

*Ahem*
I'm a candidate in the SPEAK party/ticket, running for the post of Business Faculty Representative (Male). There's actually no other candidate for that post (apparently there was something wrong with his forms, poor sod) so I got elected by default (yay).

In any case, though, Hell Week will still require my daily contribution to the rest of the party. At the same time (referring back to point No.1) the YKLS concert is this weekend (please come and support!), so I need to head for practices and dress-rehearsals everyday, too. And then there's that friggin' Accounting assignment that annoys me to no end (point No.4) that's due on Wednesday. These three could kill me already... But of course, let us not forget that there's a huge difference between homework/studying and assignmenting; that technically makes it Four Major Pains for my battered body to weather in the coming days.

I just hope I survive relatively unscathed (besides massive eyebags, splitting headaches, sleep deprivation, caffeine withdrawal symptoms, ...), but that's highly unlikely considering the third parties involved. Right now, the Four Major Pains are commitments with interests that, for the most part, clash with one another, e.g. my parents are against the concert and elections taking up so much of my time from academic work, my choir conductor's against the elections clashing meeting schedules and likewise, etc. For a graphical representation, observe the following diagram:

Note: DotA was added for comparison purposes

Examples of how to read the above diagraim: "My parents are against my commitment towards SPEAK", "The YKLS are against my commitment towards SPEAK", "I am against my commitment against DotA" (hint, hint).

Alright, I guess that's enough blabbering for tonight... Wasted a bit too much time for my liking already.

"Jackass!"

Until next time, may I not succumb to suicidal tendencies.

Zhen was here at 12:38 pm,