Sunday, August 13, 2006

One Sentence Movie Reviews

In the previous month, I watched a bucketload of movies, whether at the local cinema or through the wonders of broadband. This post merely serves as a reminder of how many I've actually seen. Plus, I was pretty bored...

So here goes, the one sentence reviews of movies that I've seen in the time period of 12th July to 12th August:

1. Superman Returns:
A fun ride that went downhill pretty quickly because the new Lois Lane is such a friggin' square.

2. Just My Luck:
A bimbotic Lindsay Lohan movie that was actually more fun to watch than Superman (what the hell?!).

3. Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest:
Was much funnier than the first, although the plot kinda ran aground (har har) towards the end.

4. The Lake House:
A romantic comedy with a strange time-travelling twist that actually worked out quite well.

5. Wayne's World:
Super cheesy, weird, funny, and laden with jokes that almost no Malaysian, me included, will understand ("Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?").

6. Click:
An Adam Sandler movie that toned down on the absurd slapstick, raised the bar on the drama, and had Christopher Walken, Henry Winkler, David Hasselhoff, and above all, Kate Beckinsale(!), resulting in an overall rockin' movie.

7. Gone With the Wind:
Very good show and story, although it was a little difficult trying to keep awake throughout the entire four hours.

8. Casablanca:
Very romantic, deep, dark, and funny (loved Humphrey Bogart and his one-liners), all at the same time; definitely lived up to its name.

And that's it. Eight movies a month meant that I averaged two a week; not bad for a mild movie aficionado like myself. Doing this made me realise that I make a pretty terrible reviewer, because I'm easily entertained by most movies. Proof: When I first saw Ju-On 2, I actually thought that it wasn't too bad. Then I saw it again, and realised what an idiot I was.

From then on, I became extremely biased towards horror films. The original Exorcist made me go "Eh".

And you guys must be wondering what the heck I was doing watching Gone With the Wind and Casablanca (and Wayne's World, if you count that as old, too). The thing is, I have a soft spot for good, old movies. And I think that those of you who don't, should, too. Would you rather spend RM 8 on some random, foreign-language horror movie about cameras, handphones, wigs, etc. that comes your way or on Singin' in the Rain? Thanks to the aforementioned wonders of broadband, the latter would probably come free, too.

Plus the best part about these old movies (at least in my case) is that I watch them in my cozy, air-conditioned room on my 17" computer monitor with my significant other by my side.

Then again, any movie would be good with your significant other by your side.

I absolutely love old movies.

Zhen was here at 12:28 am,