Monday, September 18, 2006

Two Concerts and a Stye

Thirty minutes from now, I will (should) be leaving Monash for The Actors Studio in Bangsar, for my bi-weekly practice with the rest of the Young KL Singers (henceforth referred to as 'YKLS'). To those of you who used to wonder, now you know why I always seem shagged out on Tuesday mornings (because I have to do my last-minute Accounting work on Monday nights).

Anyway, the YKLS is now the spring to quench my thirst for performance and music in Malaysia. Back when I was in Singapore and in the St. Andrew's JC Choir, I had a chat with an ex-schoolmate of mine, Benjamin Lee, and found out that he was in a choir, too. Now that I'm back home, I decided to look them up (despite the fact that Ben is currently studying in Kiwiland).

So far, it has been great. The people are really friendly, nice, and for the most part, very enthusiastic, but definitely not that young; there are members who are already approaching 40, but that just adds to the variety, I guess. Initially, I didn't really feel comfortable with joining, though, because I came in during the second half of the year (there's only one other guy who's like me), and the fact that most of them here are pretty damn good! And to imagine that we're officially known as an amateur choir...

Then again, I've seen Victoria JC performing, and that's another amateur group too...

Alright, thirty minutes are up... Will return to this later...

Three-quarters of a day later...

In any case, choirs usually spend their practices expanding their repertoire, with which they usually use as performance pieces. Last weekend, although I was supposed to participate in one such performance/concert at KLPac (Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre, next to Sentul Park), I was sadly unable to make it. Reason?


Raawr!!

I got a stye! It's a bacterial infection on the eyelid that's physically similar to a pimple. But imagine a pimple that appears underneath your eyelids (a slightly rarer version of the run-of-the-mill, 'on your eyelids' stye), pressing against your eyeball. I tell you, it is not funny. Even though it wasn't too painful, it itched like a freshly punched eye, and blurred my vision like nobody's business. I had to wear an eyepatch to prevent myself from rubbing and opening my eye after I've applied a dollop of medication. The only thing I could see without giving me a headache, then, was the television (less strain on them eyes)...

No, it's not just an excuse to sit on my ass and waste time while the other choir members are singing their lungs out. I didn't leave the house the entire weekend, too, but I also couldn't get any studying done either... It's the epitome an unproductive weekend!

I also apologise to the members of Monash Nature Society for being unable to aid in raiding Port Dickson beach in conjunction with the International Coastal Cleanup day...

In any case, the swelling has now subsided, but the itchiness remains. Then again, this is much more preferable than the alternative of falling sicker! It's back to assignment-ing mode, baby~!


By the way, the other concert I'm referring to (as mentioned in this post's title) is an upcoming production by the YKLS. Watch this spot for more details, soon... I'm a bit too bogged down by work right now.

Zhen was here at 5:12 pm,