Saturday, July 05, 2008

List of Stuff That I Have to Do: July 2008

Well, this is just an update while I'm still rather free before things go apeshit for almost the whole of July. You see, Monash's Orientation is just around the corner, and historically, the first few weeks of classes as well as the middle of the semester tend to be packed with the most activities.

But before I go to my usual "List of Stuff That I Have to Do", let's recap the holidays ever since my last paper ended on 20th June:
  1. Played and completed MGS4 (whooo!)
  2. Met up with ASEAN Scholar and high school friends a couple of times
  3. Failed to go to Cameron Highlands
  4. Played and completed LEGO Indiana Jones
  5. Went to hike Bukit Tabur... but it rained about 40 minutes in
And that's about as interesting as my holiday got. In fact, out of the 23 days between 20th June and 14th July when classes begin again, I have spent and will spend a total of 14 days in uni. Talk about slaving yourself to your (and once again I remind you, a non-paying) job.

With that out of the way, let's move on to the List of Stuff That I Have to Do (for the month of July 2008):
  1. 7th - 10th: Orientation Week
  2. 11th: Monash 'Sports' Carnival aka MOlympic Games (groan...)
  3. 12th - 13th: Eventide Prerelease (whooo! Yes I'm still a geek at heart)
  4. 12th: Young KL Singers Live on Stage aka Talent Night(?)
  5. 14th - 17th: First week of class, and period of non-activity I can appreciate
  6. 18th - 19th: Orientation Bash: Camp at Bentong (hopefully this is good)
  7. 20th: Student Council meeting
  8. 21st - 24th: Clubs and Societies Week (hopefully my last one as MNSM president)
  9. 24th: Monash Sunway Campus 10th Anniversary Gala Dinner
  10. 25th - 26th: S Factory Street Carnival (really, really not looking forward to this one)
Jam packed is all I can say about this July. As for why I'm not looking forward to the terribly named MOlympic Games, it's because I find it a complete waste of time on the Student Council's part and money on the Admin's part. This is the first time ever that I hear of a university forcefeeding its student body with an activity that will most likely fail to a certain extent.

Sports carnivals are something you do in highschools, and occasionally, in university. Sports carnivals in which you don't actually play sports but rather, telematches, are something you should keep out of universities entirely. Especially if they're only two to three hours long but take up so much manpower (slave labour more like it) and money (thankfully, not the Student Council's money or the Admin will have an incredibly irate treasurer up their ass) and will only cater to a select few people who just might appreciate it.

I hope I'm wrong about this, like I was with the Welcome Back Party. But I heard that some people have come up with the idea of making us do things like a march-past as well as an oath before the games, and I'm more skeptical than ever.

Unless maybe, just maybe, because we realise that this event is silly to begin with, we just go crazy with the silly and not take the whole event seriously at all. Now that just might be fun.

As for the rest of the stuff that I have do this month, I'll blog about them as they occur. It's time to hit the hay for today.


Pointless Fact of the Day:
For some reason, whenever I'm in the car with Izuan we spot vehicles with funny things written on them.

I'm not censoring this one because he obviously wants his number to be known.

You can call this guy up for a shag! Maybe if I put my number on my car like he does, I might get to see some action myself.

Zhen was here at 11:49 pm,