Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Monash Street Carnival

I'm back from Singapore and back to classes again. It's terrible how a long weekend spent in another country makes one forget that it isn't the holidays yet. On an unrelated note, I was sick throughout the entire trip; I spent about RM5 worth of tissues throughout the trip, half of which were used on the first day! Almost ten other people fell sick after the trip too, rousing suspicions of an epidemic of some sort.

Anyway, while I wait for photos of the Singapore trip to trickle in, I'll be blogging about the Monash Street Carnival first.

26th April 2008 - Monash Street Carnival
First of all, (almost) every club was assigned the task of preparing a booth for the Street Carnival. Being the resident Nature Society and all, we decided to come up with a recyclable-themed booth; a recycled dart game made out of old newspaper and nails! And sell J.Co donuts (how original), too...

I had to be in Monash early to set up the booth, so I swung by McDonald's first to get myself some breakfast. I used the vouchers for free Sausage McMuffins that Darren/Peck Yun gave us earlier that month (he got them from the magazine, MYC):


I planned to get five and give four to those who were helping out that day, so imagine my surprise when the cashier told me that they ran out of Sausage McMuffins and if Fillet-O-Fish(es) are okay.

I totally forgot about Filet-O-Fish's American spelling with only one 'L'

Why the hell not?

And then we got working on the board; Leanne, Thasha, Sriram, Shanq Yeet and I. It took us almost four hours to get everything up and running because half the time, it was only Leanne and I doing the work as the rest were busy with other things. We were done by around 1pm.


Testing the board with our darts

Because it was a long day and there were so many booths at the carnival, I'll just skip to the fun bits. First of all, it was themed "Wet and Wild", with a section specially designated for playing with water...:



...an inflatable gladiator arena...:


...and a mechanical bull:


And there was also this Carl's Junior burger eating contest that I totally sucked at (shoulda just ate the burgers slowly and enjoy every bite):

Constipated face like anything

And then there were performances! A whole slew of them, and everyone came to watch. Quite a good turnout too, almost three times the size of last year's crowd.


Freeloaders Inc., Monash's most popular in-house band. They're real friendly guys too, which helps a lot.

This bunch danced and won the Nike Women: This Is Love event, bagging RM30,000 worth of Nike products in the process. Obviously, the guy in the picture (Aaron Teoh from choir!) was a late addition to the team.

We were still selling donuts at this point, though... Check out Desmond and his sunburn. His skin is still recovering as I post this! So are Darren's, Jason's, and Alvin's respective dermal layers.

The highlight of the night was the guest performances, of course. First up: Ben's Bitches! Can you spot the groupies?

Dude, we so gay! Hyuk, hyuk, hyuk.

And this is the "Jolok-mosh" aka we did during their famed Aku Suka Jolok song. Good times.

DragonRed and Bus Company performed too, but I wasn't really a fan of their music, so I was already ready to close down the booth and call it a day... But not before camwhoring one last time.


When I got home, it was already 2am. Imagine spending 17 hours in uni, outdoors, and without showering; now you know how glad I was when I finally went to bed.

And I'm spent. Normally I'm much more verbose than this, but I really need to get to doing my work.

Pointless Fact of the Day:
Do you know of Snopes.com? It's a super useful website for determining the truth (or more commonly, lack thereof) of an urban legend. Seriously, could you guys (I'm not naming names) research these things before forwarding them to my e-mail? Bloody spammers. I just received this today:
Recently a woman in Taiwan suddenly died of blood flowing from her every orifice. Lab test result shows it was due to the deceased having taken vitamin C after eating a lot of shrimps. Shrimps contain an ingredient when combined with vitamin C in human body, can generate a kind of poisonous substance like white arsenic which is fatal to the body.

Please tell everybody & those you care not to take vitamin C after eating seafood!
A quick search told me that this is not true, as well as the reasons why. Everyone should start visiting Snopes more often before telling me about HIV needles at petrol stations and telling me to forward e-mail so that Bill Gates will pay me.

Idiots.

Zhen was here at 10:54 pm,