Saturday, March 15, 2008

When I have photos, this happens

One of the major banes of my blogging frequency is the severe lack of photos to go with whatever it was I did that I deem interesting enough to blog about (as I am wont to complain really often). But that's not the case here, thanks to my efforts in coercing Izuan to transfer the pictures onto my (brand new 4GB!) thumbdrive immediately after the party. As the official photographer for MonGa, the student publication, he managed to take many good photos of the party. If any of those photos actually get published in the magazine, well, you can say that you saw it here first!

And the party I'm referring to was the very first Monash Welcome Back Party that happened last night, right on our very own campus grounds. I never knew Monash students needed welcoming back.

14th March 2008 - Monash Welcome Back Party
As the Student Council Treasurer, I was initially (very) doubtful of the viability of the event as I was the one signing off on all the expenses involved; the lighting, the decorations, the food. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the sight of the campus cafeteria converted into what seems like a club on a shoestring budget. The tables were covered with either black or white runners, befitting the theme.

Believe it or not, this is the Monash cafeteria.

Cze Wien and Desmond, the couple that isn't.

Leanne (fellow SAJC ASEAN Scholar and MNSM vice-president) and her Korean friend Young In in the middle.

The party was marred first by starting about an hour and a half late, and then by heavy rains. But once the rain subsided, the performers got up the stage to work the reluctant audience.

You could say that we were the only unreluctant ones.


And then Icky started rapping and everyone crowded the dance floor.


He paved the way for a really great night. Even after he left the stage, nothing could stop the crowd from dancing to the other performances throughout the night.

Bird's-eye view of the party.

Throwing our hands up in the air like we just don't care~

We even had crowd surfers!

That's me trying to dance, as usual.

The main man of the show, Manil de Run, one of MUSA's Activities Chairpersons and the one mostly responsible for the party, showing us how to dance to a Sri Lankan tune.

The crowd trying to bhangra (and mostly failing at it)!

Well, there isn't much for me to say here besides the photos, is there? It was a complete blast, and all that without the stench of alcohol and cigarette smoke permeating the air, the two turnoffs that make me shy away from clubs. And having it outdoors enable better air circulation, too! I'm already looking forward for a bigger party next semester.

Pointless Fact of the Day:
Tracy (the choirmate who came up with an album recently) showed me YouTube clips of this Australian comedy group called The Chaser. There's this segment of their comedy show where they'd interrupt the humdrum of a random bystander's daily life by converting it into a musical. Watch and be entertained!

Zhen was here at 4:15 pm,