Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"Oh well"

"Oh well." I've gotten used to saying that quite often these days. Whenever the tiniest little thing goes wrong, or when shit hits the fan, a lot of times I find myself exclaiming, "Oh well."

When I lost my pencil box at the Monash Ball last year along with my thumbdrive and the half-completed assignment in it; "Oh well."

When I drove my car into the back side of a truck, denting the MyVi's red hood; "Oh well."

When the ex sent me a Dear John-ish e-mail from California; "Oh well."

Yesterday, two more came my way. First, I was told that the a capella group I had just recently formed for this weekend's Monash Street Carnival was deemed inappropriate for the carnival's Battle of the Bands, despite the posters merely saying "Monash Street Carnival auditions". I wonder what happened to the dance group that auditioned before us. Although I had invested somewhere around 15 to 20 hours in this project, from acquiring scores to transcribing songs with my non-existent musical training, this turn of events elicited only an "Oh well" from me.

Secondly, the results of the Film Studies assignment I was speaking of were returned to me. Normally, I'd be overjoyed with the High Distinction, but knowing that there were three people who got 98/100 made me a little unsatisfied; I did an obscene amount of research for a simple assignment, and while some have told me not to be so kiasu about it, it was difficult to lay this issue to rest until I've seen the papers that received almost perfect marks.

But then I said my "Oh well"s and all was fine with the world again. You see, to me "Oh well" marks the middle ground between optimism and pessimism. You know how people who set their expectations too high often become disappointed when things don't go their way? You're not ensnared by that trap with an "Oh well". It also stops me from being a morbidly morose moron moping my days away because of an insignificant pothole in the highway of life (dig that metaphor, suckers!).

Thus, the "Oh well" is the ultimate (as far as I know) ambivalent stance anyone can adopt. It's equidistant from both the positive "Hell yeah!" and negative "Bloody hell!", and sure beats the apathetic "I don't care" any time.

Until next time... Oh well.

Pointless Fact of the Day:
Just two little announcements here today. The Monash Street Carnival is going to run from 12pm to 12am this Saturday. There will be carnival and water games, inflatables (not dolls) and even a bull-riding machine! The afternoon will be filled with performances by in-house Monash bands, while at night Ben's Bitches (whoooo!), DragonRed and Bus Company will be working the crowd. It's going to be huge, so be there and join in the fun!

Take not of the phrase "Free Entrance "Larh"". "Larh" is what happens when you let international students spell Malaysian slang. I found it highly amusing.

Second announcement: I'm going down to Singapore from the 1st to 4th of May. I'm not sure if any of the friends I made in Singapore still read my blog, but I'm free on the night of Saturday the 3rd. Anybody wanna meet up?

Well, I know this isn't that much of a PFotD entry, but oh well.

Zhen was here at 9:51 am,