Thursday, March 27, 2008

When I haven't any photos...

...I start musing.


I'm more than halfway through my week-long mid-semester break which, funny enough, isn't even in the middle of the semester; it's after the fourth week of study when the semester's 13 weeks long. Silly Aussies and their holiday systems.

Not that I'm complaining though. I have two assignments due next Friday, one of them being a paper on Film Narrative (FTV1050 - Contemporary Film Studies). If you recall, I did Contemporary Television Studies last semester as an elective and got hooked immediately, not to mention that studying for the subject was what brought Carrie and I together...but that shall be a story for another day.

Anyway, I'm once again doing excessive research to score highly in my assignment and I hope it pays off like it did last year. In fact, through excessive research last year (by excessive I mean above and beyond what is normally expected in a first year subject), I managed to produce a (high distinction-scoring) piece of writing which until today I read and reread now and then for a session of self-indulgent glee. Hell, it might be craptacular in a true academic's eyes, but for humble ol' me I was the smartest bugger in class.

Plus I wrote it during the extremely heavy first week of October i.e. student council elections week. And the week before that was the YKLS production. And the weekend before that was September with the Monash Ball, and the weekend before that MNSM went to Kuala Selangor to clean up a swamp, and the weekend before we went river hiking at Chiling. Craaaaazy.

Which made it all the more sweeter when I got my results back. If you'd like to read my discourse on gender performativity in House, M.D. (the one with Hugh Laurie), click here. Told you I'm self-indulgent. Still, try not to plagiarise? Thanks.

Moving on to other news...

I fell sick last Monday (the 17th) from a throat infection (complete with phlegm-coughing, fever and sore throat) which seems to hit me once every quarter. It became really bad, subsided, and then went away almost completely yesterday, but came back to haunt me again this morning just to spite me, leaving me hacking and spitting. Maybe this has something to do with that cup of coffee and that bar of Cadbury Crunchie I ate yesterday.

In my defense, because of the sickness I had to completely eschew coffee and chocolate for almost two weeks; I couldn't stand the deprivation any longer! The cough this morning is preventing me from having another cup today...Grr...

That germ's a bitch. I really need to find out what this annoying affliction is from the doctor. Oh, and also stock up on antibiotics in anticipation of future outbreaks.

And I'm spent. I was about to go on rambling about being a coffee addict but I've been delaying my work on that Film Studies assignment for the past hour with this blog post. I hope you guys are happy (that you have something to read, that is...).

Until next time, may you not fall sick as I did.

Pointless Fact of the Day:
On the topic of Cadbury Crunchies, there's this really cool Crunchie ad that was screened unchanged for almost 20 years in Australia and New Zealand. 20 years! Even the DiGi Yellow Man ads only last for around half a year despite their novelty and hilarity.



Take note that this ad first screened in the 70s.

Zhen was here at 12:26 pm,